February 13, 2008

Obama is an Uppity Negro: McCain's subliminal message?

Here at Political Season, we eschew kneejerk or overdone reactions to statements by various and sundry figures in the public eye that can be interpreted as racially inflammatory or controversial. That said, we are sensitive to language, tone and context and so could not help but take note of a portion of John McCain's victory speech last night, where he said the following in a portion of his prepared remarks clearly referring to Barack Obama:

I do not seek the presidency on the presumption that I am blessed with such personal greatness that history has anointed me to save my country in its hour of need. I seek the presidency with the humility of a man who cannot forget that my country saved me.

Is this the under the surface narrative that McCain will weave into his campaign? The insinuation that Obama is an arrogant megalomaniac who views himself as a savior? In the context of an election campaign against a black candidate vying for the presidency and history, subtext is important and McCain is a wily and skilled political campaigner. This is a considered and deliberate statement in his speech and it certainly raised our antennae. Is McCain, perhaps deliberately, suggesting that Obama is an uppity negro?