September 7, 2008

Palintology

Since the announcement of Palin as McCain's running mate, I've been looking for sources of Alaska based intel on her. I'm gratified to have discovered along with many others I'm sure, some Alaskan bloggers. Here's a little link love:

What is McCain Thinking? One Alaskan’s Perspective.

"Is this a joke?” That seemed to be the question du jour when my phone started ringing off the hook at 6:45am here in Alaska. I mean, we’re sort of excited that our humble state has gotten some kind of national ‘nod’….but seriously? Sarah Palin for Vice President?"....more

Other Alaska Blogs:

Celtic Diva


Alaska Real

The above are all so called progressive bloggers, I have not found anyone interesting on the right side of Alaska politics, but I'm sure I will with a bit more digging.


This was good for a "you have got to be kidding me" moment today:

"So until at which point in time we feel like the news media is going to treat her with some level of respect and deference, I think it would be foolhardy to put her out into that kind of environment."

She's ready to be a 72 year old heartbeat away from the presidency on day 1, but not to take questions from the news media almost 2 WEEKS after she was announced as the VP candidate to the American people? And why? Because they might not be nice to the pitbull with lipstick? It does not pass the smell test. The jury is perhaps still out, but this kind of stuff makes it look like McCain made a rash decision here. You're the VP choice, you need to be press and world ready from the get go. This is stage management pure and simple. Anybody who needs this much scripting, there's a problem. Hillary Clinton was not my pick, but you can say this about her. She has been savaged by the press, attacked from every angle in debates and took on all comers from the jump. The McCain campaign is doing everything they can to stage manage the Pitbull with lipstick to a very large degree. The VP candidate should not require that kind of babysitting.

Video ideation on Palin:



I thought this was a great satire. The sequestration of Palin thats going on now tends to cut against this having any resemblance to reality. But it was very amusing.

Some Alaskan local news coverage on Troopergate:




Is this really the group of people you want to tick off?



My wife happens to be, among many good things, a trained and highly skilled community organizer. My work in the development field has put me in this role at many points in my career. Palin's backhanded swipe at Obama on his community organizing background has been taken very personally by many in the organizing community. Gov. Palin, you may come to find on Nov. 4th, that it is NOT a smart idea to tick off thousands of people who organize people all day every day. Not smart at all.

Exit bit for the scandal mongers among us:



The brother delivers the tale brilliantly with a great deal of earnestness. I don't live in Alaska, so I have no way of judging if the little narrative details he throws in make any sense at all. An Alaskan might be able to judge from that alone if there was any possibility. I assume out the gate that he is lying because it would just be too much fun than is politically and morally acceptable to have if it were. The brother has a little rap career he is trying to promote, so he's using bottomfeeder smarts to use the Palin pregnancy for a few thousand extra eyeballs. I watched, and now so have you. Assuming he's lying, I hope he is prepared for the heat that will fall on him when the McCain campaign gets wind of it.