February 1, 2009

Impressions of God on a Sunday Morning

There are names and phrases from the Bible that describe God that make an impression on me.  I was in church two weeks ago and I  started thinking about some of these things and I was in church again this morning and this thought reoccurred to me again and that I wanted to talk about it a little. Two that really drop something in my spirit:

"I am the Lord.  I changeth not"  Malachi 3:6

Thats just a statement by God that he is a total bad ass.  That He doesn't back up, back down or turn around for NOBODY. Whatever He says, whether it was 10,000 years ago, today or tomorrow, it doesn't matter.  Whatever He says is how it is, yesterday, today and forever. Period.   His Word is sufficient unto itself.  If He says it, it is.   People wrestle with trying to understand  why God permits suffering in the world.  Rather than trying to understand the grand plan of God (not possible) and how terrible things are a part of it,  I just deal with it at a simpler level: being God (omniscient, omnipresent, all powerful, righteous, etc) means that He has the right to do whatever He wants to do, whenever he wants to do it, however he wants to do it.  All the time.  Period.  And anything he does is right and just, whether we think so or not because....he's God. 

"I am the Way, the Truth and the Light"  John 14:6

That speaks to me about the completeness of God.  It helps you get your head around the idea that God is the Lord and Master of the Universe.  That He is the Creator, capital "C". The author and finisher of Creation.  Sometimes when I'm pondering the nature of God, I think about the vastness of the Universe, the stars and galaxies and how it just goes on and on and we haven't a clue really about what's out there but we know its gorgeous from the pictures........and then,  I think about the fact that the same God who made all of that, values me more than any of it.  In fact, he values every human being on the planet more than anything else in Creation.

Blows me away.