June 7, 2008

In Praise of My Woman

And now for something a little different


blessed - highly favored or fortunate (as e.g. by divine grace)

Alaine and I married 13 years ago and the word above is what describes my life ever since. Someone once said to me before we were married "Alaine will make an excellent wife, and she'll be a damn good mother to your kids". Truer words have never been spoken, and my only regret is that I am unlikely to ever be the all the husband she deserves.

Alaine is certainly physically beautiful. A glorious smile, an all woman figure, gorgeous skin. She's got all the good stuff on that score. But those are really just the icing on the cake. They are not the things that made me love her. Why do I love her? First and foremost, I love her mind. Alaine is whip smart. Not merely brainy, but perceptive and insightful. She often perceives that which zips right by me. Alaine is a lady, okay? She has great dignity and grace, a sense of style that is her own. She's strong, not to be trifled with. Doing her dirt or disrespecting her can put you on the endangered species list. Alaine is thoughtful, truly thoughtful. She writes notes and does special things for people all the time, naturally, because its just who she is. She has great integrity and is at times my moral compass when I lose my way. She is a wonderful mother. In this regard I cannot say enough. She exemplifies motherhood. In every way. My children are glorious little human beings and you only have to look at their mother to see why.

Lastly, like God, despite all my many flaws and truly gaping imperfections, she loves me.

And thats why I am called blessed.